Monday 12 March 2012

Mac & Cheese Monday

Today on Mac & Cheese Monday, we're having Make Me Laugh Macaroni from the happy folks over at The Laughing Cow.

We like to call Laughing Cow cheese, Happy Cow cheese.  Cause that cow is SO.  HAPPY!  And with cheese like that, how could you not be?


The original Laughing Cow cheese is my favorite of all cheeses.  It's the king of cheese in my world.  I just love it.  The texture, the flavour, the funny little wedge shapes...  I like to eat it just by itself, on crackers, on bread, on cardboard, or the bottom of my shoe.  Well, not those last two - but I'll eat it any way I can get it.

I just tried their new French Onion flavour the other day - and I LOVED it!  I will be adding it to my regular rotation for sure.

When I first started buying Happy Cow cheese, the containers had recipes printed on the little cards separating the layers of wedges.  Being in a right state of mind, I happened to hang on to a few of them.

I constantly pull this recipe out and look at it and think about making it - but I'm always missing one or two things.  So I've been hanging on to this little recipe card for ages and ages.  A couple of YEARS probably.

Finally, FINALLY, I'm putting my foot down and making this.


Start by cooking up your macaroni pasta 2/3rds of the way through and then draining it and letting it cool.


I chopped up the Happy Cow a little bit because I thought it would distribute a little better.

You're also going to need 2 egg yolks and 1 whole egg.

Seriously, what is with the EGGS?  How many times are we going to see THIS delightful little combo on this blog?

In a bowl, mix the Happy Cow, the eggs, the cream, the milk, salt, and pepper.






You know how I hate recipes that just say "salt and pepper"?  Yeah, this one did it too.  I ended up using a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper.

Then mix in the macaroni and pour the mixture into a greased baking dish.


Top with grated Swiss cheese and bake for 40 minutes.


After I took it out, I let it stand for 10 minutes.


Oh.  My.  Goodness. 


It was so delicious I couldn't BE.LIEVE it!  I was worried that because I didn't make a cheese sauce on the stove top it wouldn't come together - and it did!  It wasn't as "cheesy" and saucy as other styles of Mac & Cheese, but the sweetish creamy Happy Cow shone through with every bite.

I kinda wish that I had a bun to soak up the cheese off the bottom of the bowl.

This is definitely going in my permanent files!

Yay for Happy Cow!

This is the Cane Girl - signing off.

*Disclaimer - I'm not trying to sell Laughing Cow (and I didn't get any compensation for this post), I just love the cheese and think you should too!*



Make Me Laugh Macaroni

6 wedges Laughing Cow cheese
1 1/4 cups uncooked macaroni pasta
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup cream
2 egg yolks
1 whole egg
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  2. Cook macaroni 2/3 of time indicated on package.  Rinse and let cool.
  3. In a large bowl, mix together the Laughing Cow, milk, cream, egg yolks, whole egg, salt, and pepper.
  4. Add macaroni and stir to combine.
  5. Pour mixture into a greased baking dish.
  6. Top with grated Swiss cheese and bake for 40 minutes.
  7. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes.
Source:  The Laughing Cow (on a printed card - I couldn't find it on the website)

3 comments:

  1. OK - you have to go look at the eggs and go WOOOHOOOOO !!! tidings of things to come! Mickey and Minnie we are coming back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I think you should make this for your Dad and me when you are here and have time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee! I didn't notice they looked like Mickey and Minnie!!! Must have been on your mind!

    I would GLADLY make this for you guys! It's really easy, but doesn't make a whole lot - so I would want to double it for sure.

    ReplyDelete