Friday 13 April 2012

Cadbury Creme Egg Muffins

Holy crap, I love Creme Eggs.

And really - how much more do you need to say.

I found this recipe on Nicole's website, Baking Bites.  When I saw it, I thought, "yeah, how could I NOT."

Remember the last time I did a "stuffed" cupcake?  Remember how the bar inside melted into nothingness at the bottom of the cupcake? 

I was worried it would happen again, and all that work would go down the drain.

Nicole suggested that a muffin would be an excellent complement to the Creme Egg, but to me, some muffins are just naked cupcakes.  Like, a BRAN muffin wouldn't be iceable (is that a word?  It is NOW!), but a VANILLA muffin could totally take Buttercream.  They'd be friends.

I didn't ice these...  At first. 


First, you whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.


Then, you mix together the melted (and cooled) butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until smooth.


Then add in the milk and mix together.


Then add the dry ingredients and mix on low until just combined.  I like to pull the bowl off the mixer stand and just give it a final mix with a spatula - just to be sure.



Fill your cupcake pan to 2/3 full and press in a mini Creme Egg into each well.


I had a little batter left over after portioning 6 muffins, so I used my smallest scoop and put batter directly over the Creme Egg.  But I didn't need to do that - I should have just used a knife to pull some of the batter up and around the egg.


Then bake.  Nicole says 14 - 16 minutes (until the top springs back when touch and the edges are golden), but I thought they didn't look nearly done, so I baked them for about 20 minutes.


What I thought?

I should have taken them out at about 17 or 18 minutes, because I found them a little dry (that's my bad).

The Creme Egg did NOT melt! (yay!)  The fondant center firmed up and the chocolate was soft. 


Now - if you'll excuse me - I'm putting buttercream on those babies.

This is the Cane Girl - signing off.

Cadbury Creme Egg Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
12 frozen mini Cadbury Creme Eggs
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line cupcake pan with paper liners.
  2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
  3. In a stand mixer, mix the sugar, eggs, melted butter, and vanilla until smooth.
  4. Mix in the milk.
  5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just combined.
  6. Portion the batter between the paper liners to about 2/3rds full.
  7. Place 1 frozen mini Creme Egg in the center of each filled liner.  Use a small knife, or offset spatula, to pull a little batter over each egg to cover.
  8. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, until the top of the muffin springs back when lightly pressed and the edges are lightly golden.
  9. Cool in pan for a few minutes, then finish cooling on a wire rack.
Source:  Baking Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment