Monday 18 June 2012

Mac & Cheese Mondays: Gnocchi Mac & Cheese

When I saw this on Tastespotting, my first thought was "HELLS. YEAH".

I don't often buy gnocchi, mostly because I can't get a smaller package that 500 grams.  If I could, I'd probably buy it more often.

So when I saw it and looked completely awesome - I couldn't hardly wait.  Usually, I find a recipe and it gets filed away and I often forget about the awesome recipes that I've saved....  I'm in the process of building an index to fix this problem, but it's going to take a while.

Instead of filing it away, I printed it off immediately and on my morning trip to the grocery store, I picked up what I'd need to make it.


Three cheese sauce and gnocchi.  Seriously - could life get any sweeter?

Start by cooking the gnocchi according to the package directions.


Then move on to the sauce.  Start by heating butter in a saucepan over medium heat.  Then add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.

Then add the flour and stir until melted and bubbly.


Once bubbling, gradually add the milk and stir until thickened.


Then start adding the cheese a little at a time, whisking and melting the cheese before adding more.  Season with salt and pepper.  I think I used 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.


Put the cooked gnocchi into a greased dish.  A couple of the other recipes I read said to make sure the gnocchi was in a single layer - but it really made no difference to me.


Then pour the cheese sauce over top.


Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and parsley.


Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.

Check the burnt cheese sauce - such a pretty picture.
I ended up leaving it in for 25 minutes and then let it stand for about 10. 


Yep, those are carrots and I had to show them to you.  Trust me - it's practically a miracle.  By this point it had been like 4 days since I'd eaten a vegetable of any kind. 

I might be getting scurvy.


*sigh*.  This was SO good.

Here were my thoughts.

First of all.  I am refusing in the future to buy those STUPID little containers of bread crumbs.  They always taste stale.  I can buy a loaf of bread and get much better topping.  Or use crackers.

Secondly, I thought I put too much breadcrumbs on top.  Most of it didn't brown and it seemed like too much.  I also could have cut down on the parsley.

Thirdly, I thought there was a little too much parmesan for my taste - I would definitely cut it down.

Last of all - you could seriously do any kind of cheese and this would be wonderful.  But if you like your mac and cheese really saucy, I would recommend doubling it up - I might next time.

Yum - what a delicious treat for a totally underestimated pasta!

This is the Cane Girl - signing off.
Gnocchi Mac and Cheese

1 pound gnocchi
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup milk (the original recipe calls for skim, but I used homo milk)
1/3 cup cheddar cheese
1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 - 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Grease a 2 or 3 quart baking dish.
  2. Cook gnocchi according to the package instructions and rinse.  Pour gnocchi into the prepared dish.
  3. In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the butter.
  4. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes.
  5. Add in the flour and whisk until no lumps remain and the mixture is bubbling.
  6. Once bubbling, gradually add the milk and cook, stirring constantly until thickened.
  7. Gradually add the cheddar and mozzarella, stirring to melt.
  8. Season with salt and pepper.
  9. Pour sauce over the gnocchi.
  10. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and parsley
  11. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden brown and bubbling.
  12. Remove from oven and let stand 5 - 10 minutes.
Source: Fabulous Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment