Friday 3 August 2012

Pizza on the Cue

Oh help me. 

You know that I'm a pizza addict.  More than anything else I think.

And even when it's warm, I'll turn on the oven to get my fix.

But after 10 days of non-stop 30 degree C weather - and 30+ degrees inside the house with no air flow and no break - I can't imagine turning on my oven.

Last summer - I saw this floating around the blogosphere and couldn't imagine something more awesome.

Although I'm not great about cooking on the barbecue - it confounds me for whatever reason.

That's weird right?

So when the city fell into a heat wave, I finally did it.

I barbecued a PIZZA.

I started out by making the sauce.  I made mine from scratch, but you can use any kind of sauce you'd like.


Then I made the dough.  Mine was from scratch using my favorite recipe - but you could use the frozen dough, or buy it from a bakery or whatever your heart desires.


When you roll out the dough, don't leave it too thick - less than 1/2 an inch or more than 1/4 inch. 

Also, make sure all your toppings are ready - and no-one suggests putting anything raw on the pizza, because it cooks really fast.

I just made a plain cheese.

Everything I've read is that the dough shouldn't be too thick.  And that the grill should be 2 steamboats hot.

1 steamboat, 2 steamboat - too hot for your hand.

Lightly grill the grate with oil.  You can also do this on a pizza stone - but I opted to go straight on the grill.

Put the rolled out dough onto the grate and close the lid.


The first side should only take 3 minutes or so.  Depending on if you like charred or golden brown - just keep an eye on it.

When it's ready to flip, flip it over on the uncooked side and put your toppings on.


Reduce the heat, just a little, and close the lid.

Cook for a couple more minutes until the cheese is melted.


Pull off the grill and EAT.

Trust me - you're gonna drop dead from the yum.

And the best part - you can have pizza even when it's a million degrees.

This is the Cane girl - signing off.

No comments:

Post a Comment