Tuesday 26 March 2013

Luscious Lemon Pie

For whatever reason, I lately have become OBSESSED with pies.  Not fruit pies, although I would give my left arm for a Bumbleberry Pie. 

Bumbleberry.

I found this pie on Pinterest, and was immediately intrigued.

Three ingredients, plus the pie crust.

Really?

Could it actually be done?

Stranger things have happened.

But, because I'm strange, I desperately wanted to change things. 

The original recipe calls for sweetened condensed milk, bottled lemon juice, and Cool Whip.

Blech.

Maybe not, but I really prefer fresh ingredients.

Cause I'm strange.

So I switched out the bottled lemon juice for freshly squeezed lemons and the Cool Whip for freshly whipped cream.

I suppose the only concern I had was the condensed milk.  The recipe calls for a 10 ounce can - which is actually like 414 ml, but the only can size I could get is 300 ml.

I had no idea if it would come together - but I threw caution to the wind and went ahead anyway.

I'm a wild child.

I threw together a graham cracker crust with 1 1/2 cups graham crackers and 4 Tablespoons melted butter (because I BOUGHT what I THOUGHT was a graham cracker crust and it turned out to be a chocolate cookie crust - but I can use it) and pressed it into the bottom and sides of a pie plate.  Then put it in the fridge to chill.



Then get to the pie filling.


Start out by whipping the cream until stiff peaks form.

Then in a clean stand mixer bowl, combine the condensed milk and lemon juice.  It will start to thicken, but I helped the process along by whipping the mixture.  You want the mixture to be the consistency of yogurt.



Then gently fold in the whipped cream.


Pour the mixture into the chilled crust and put in the fridge to set up.


Chill the pie for at least a few hours - I made mine in the morning and it was perfectly set up a few hours later. 

And when it was served?

It was light and fluffy, with the lightest lemon flavour and a perfectly crisp crust.


Basically, it was the most completely delightful dessert I've had all week.

I have to tell you that it really is best the day it's served.  When I pulled it out the next day, I found that it had slightly separated and the crust was a little soggy.  The majority of it however, was just as it was the day before.

Just shove it down the hatch the day you make it and you won't have to worry.


And because it's like eating a cloud, you might just be able to do that.

Enjoy!

The Cane girl.

Luscious Lemon Pie

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice, about 2 - 3 lemons
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
Graham cracker crust
  1. Mix the graham cracker crumbs with the melted butter.  Press into the bottom and slightly up the sides of a pie plate.  Chill in the refrigerator until the filling is complete.
  2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment loaded, whip the heavy cream until thickened.   Gradually add the sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.  Set aside.
  3. In a clean stand mixer bowl, add the condensed milk and the lemon juice.  It will start to thicken, but it can be helped along by whipping with the whisk attachment.  Bring to a yogurt-type consistency.
  4. Gently fold the whipped cream into the condensed milk mixture.
  5. Pour the mixture into the graham cracker crust and refrigerate until set, at least a few hours.
Slightly adapted from:  Organizing Home Life

No comments:

Post a Comment