Friday 14 June 2013

Pancakes

I don't often have the occasion to make breakfast - at actual breakfast time - so when I do get the chance, I'm usually pretty excited.

I had seriously considered making my Grandma's Buttermilk Pancakes because - well, they're awesome - but I had no buttermilk and I forgot to grab a lemon from the store when I was there.

I ended up snooping through my files and came across a recipe from Joy of Baking that didn't need buttermilk.


In a large bowl, combine the flour,


baking powder,


salt,


and sugar.


In a small bowl, mix together an egg, melted butter, and milk.


Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the butter mixture into it.


Stir the mixture together until combined.  The batter will be lumpy, but that's okay - if the batter is mixed too much, the pancakes will be tough.

Over medium heat, use a scoop to drop about 1/4 cup of batter onto a skillet. 


So they're the ugliest pancakes in the world.  So what?

Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, the bottom will be brown and there will be bubbles on the top, then flip over. 

Cook for another two minutes.


Repeat until all the batter is gone.


And serve with syrup.


I thought these were a little more dense than a buttermilk pancake would generally be, but perhaps I overmixed them?  Also, I thought there could have been just a sploosh more milk to help make the batter pour a little more "prettily".  They didn't all end up being round.  Pancakes should be round.

Or in animal shapes.

In a pinch, these pancakes would be an acceptable substitute for buttermilk pancakes.

Happy breakfast!

xoxo - the Cane girl.

Source:  Joy of Baking

1 comment:

  1. Should have used your Grandma's recipe - they are always perfectly wonderful :) Just saying...

    ReplyDelete