Saturday 21 December 2013

Seafood with Vanilla Sauce

Have you ever come across a recipe and thought, "What. The. Heck?"

Vanilla.  Cream.  Sauce.

Hunh.

But since I love so many of the ingredients,  my reservations were somewhat tampered.

But since I DID have reservations, I decided the best thing to do would be to test is on myself and not subject some poor un-witting soul to this if it was horrible.

 
First, melt some butter.
 
As with the start of all things wonderful and awesome.

 
Then add the onions. 
 
 
Then add the white wine vinegar.


 
Then add the white wine.

 
And cornstarch and chicken broth.

 
Then the pepper and chives.  Or - if you live somewhere you can't get chives, green onions will work in a pinch.

 
Bring that to a boil and reduce by half.
 
Then add the cream.

 
And the vanilla extract.

 
Yep.  That just happened.
 
Then add the crab.

 
Then add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp is no longer pink.

 
And serve.  Over rice.
 
But pasta would be just fine too.



Frankly.  I was surprised. 

The sauce itself wasn't overly rich, and the vanilla added a really unusual touch.

I don't know if it would be something I would make to impress.  But to make it for myself to shake things up a little - it was a fun change.

Plus is doesn't hurt that now I have an open bottle of wine to drown my chills in.

Until next time - the Cane girl.


Seafood with Vanilla Sauce

1 Tablespoon butter
1 Tablespoon diced onion
2 Tablespoons white wine
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chopped chives
1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 pound raw shrimp
1/2 pound imitation crab meat
  1. In a large non-stick frying pan, combine the butter and the onions and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes.
  2. Stir in the rest of the ingredients except for the vanilla, cream, shrimp, and crab meat.
  3. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until reduced by half.
  4. Add the cream and vanilla extract and return to a boil.
  5. Add the shrimp and crab and cook until the shrimp is pink.
  6. Serve immediately.
Source:  Club House

No comments:

Post a Comment