Tuesday 31 March 2015

Rice-A-Roni Chicken Casserole

When I was a kid, my Dad would cook every now and then.  You should know that I'm not the biggest fan of pork chops, but pork chops in mushroom sauce (icky - but I still liked it! The horror.) was his speciality.  And he would ALWAYS serve it with Rice-A-Roni. 
 
I'm sure it's chock full of sodium and scary preservatives, but I freaking love that stuff.  Like. LOVE.
 
So when I saw this casserole on Pinterest, I could hardly wait to make it.  I mean - look at what's in there!  How could it NOT be delicious!
 
 
Prepare the Rice-A-Roni according to the package directions.
 
Stir in the cream of chicken soup.

 
And the sour cream.

 
Pull the chicken off the bones and break it into chunks. And add that to the rice mixture too.

 
Spread the chicken mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole dish.

 
Top with the French fried onions.

 
And bake in the oven until heated through and the onions on top are crispy.

 
And serve.  Oh my.
 
I loved this casserole.  It's creamy and dreamy and delicious.  The onions add this great crisp texture. 


 
Never mind that it's not the healthiest casserole on the planet - it's totally worth the calories.
 
I totally recommend this for a cozy, heart-warming Sunday Supper with your family, or for a Friday when you just can't grown-up anymore.  It'll fill up all the empty spaces in your tummy.
 
You should also know - I sent this along to my Mom for a dinner she was hosting and they all loved it.
 
I mean.  How could you not.
 
Xoxo - Heather

Rice-A-Roni Chicken Casserole
 
1 package chicken flavor Rice-A-Roni
1 (10 oz) can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
3 - 4 cups cooked chicken breast (1 whole rotisserie chicken)
1 (170 gram) can of French-fried onions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Prepare the Rice-A-Roni according to package directions.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the rice, soup, sour cream, and chicken breast.
  4. Pour the mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole dish and spread into an even layer.
  5. Top with the French-fried onions.
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Source:  Plain Chicken

2 comments:

  1. My boys loved this and it was quick to make on a busy night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys loved this and if was quick to make on a busy night.

    ReplyDelete