Friday 12 April 2013

Cadbury Creme Egg Tarts

You know how I feel about Cadbury Creme Eggs.

I professed my undying love to these little eggie treats last year, and with their return to the shelves of my local grocery store, my wee little heart could barely stand the excitement.

My first large purchase of Creme Eggs were totally earmarked for baked goods.....  They didn't make it there.

So back to the store I went. 

And it has been taking all the will-power I possess to resist chowing down on the second purchase.

On to the tarts!!!

I bookmarked this eons ago, but haven't gotten around to making it because it somewhat confounded me.  I have no idea why - but for some reason I couldn't wrap my head around the fondant part of the dessert. 

Sometimes I hit a brick wall.

But on this day, I decided to tackle it and hope for the best.


To make the base, melt unsalted butter and add in crushed cookies. 


Divide the cookie crumb mixture between the two tart pans and press into the bottom and up the sides of the pans.  Put in the refrigerator to chill.


Cut the Creme Eggs along the seams.  Scoop out the fondant filling and put into the top pan of a double boiler.


Add the heavy cream to a double boiler pot and start heating through.


Chop the empty chocolate shells and add to the heavy cream.


Let the chocolate ganache cool slightly, then divide evenly between the chilled tart bases.


Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours until set.

When the chocolate has set, gently heat the fondant until it melts together - but don't stir, just shake the pan occasionally. 

When the fondant has melted together, divide between the two tart shells.


Now.  According to the REALLY pretty picture on the website - the fondant is supposed to spread all the way across the chocolate.

And possibly I did something wrong.  But I can't seem to figure out what it was.  Maybe I didn't heat the fondant enough?

But there's only so much fondant inside those eggs!

I think these definitely have the potential to be way more impressive - and I think I have something in mind.  But I'll have to come back to it at a later date.


If you're of the mind to try these out for yourself one of these days, let me know how it goes!  I'd be interested to hear if you had better luck than I.

Update!  Apparently I failed to mention what I thought of these confounding little tarts.  From me to you - if you don't happen to have digestive biscuits around, use graham crackers.  They'll work out fine.  The chocolate was creamy and perfect.  I found the fondant ended up being on the hard/chewy side.  With just the tiniest tweaking to the fondant I think these could be a delightful, show-stopper of a dessert!

All the best of luck - the Cane girl.

Cadbury Creme Egg Tarts

25 grams unsalted butter
50 grams digestive cookies, crushed
3 Cadbury Creme Eggs
50 ml heavy cream
  1. Melt the butter.  Stir in the crushed cookies.
  2. Divide between two 8 centimeter tart pans.  Press the mixture across the bottom and up the sides of the tart pans.  Chill in the fridge while prepping the rest.
  3. Gently cut the creme eggs along the seam and pull apart.  Remove the fondant center from each egg and put into the top bowl of a double boiler and set aside.
  4. Chop the chocolate shells into pieces.
  5. In a saucepan over low heat, begin heating the cream.  Add the chopped chocolate pieces and stir until melted and smooth.
  6. Divide the chocolate between the two chilled tart shells.  Return to the fridge until the chocolate is set.  About 2 to 3 hours.
  7. Before ready to serve, heat the fondant in the double boiler until melted together.  Do not stir, occasionally shake the pot (lightly).
  8. Divide the melted fondant between the two tart shells.
  9. Serve immediately.
Source:  Good To Know

2 comments: