Tuesday 30 April 2013

Corn Chip Salad

On occasion you need a strange, fun salad.  This one is no exception.  Easy to put together, light, it's kind of a wacky summer salad.

Even if you have to improvise - which I did.

So WHAT if you can't find Chili Cheese Corn Chips?  You could still make it work.

You'll need a bag of corn chips, corn, peas, and mayo.  I don't have a picture of these.  My deepest apologies.

Also, I decided to forgo buying cans of corn because I had a bag of the frozen stuff in the freezer.

Sometimes a girl's gotta be a Frugal Fanny.

Because I couldn't find Chili Cheese Corn Chips, I decided to mix a little taco seasoning into the mayo.


Then stuck that in the fridge.

I threw a couple of cups of corn and 1/2 cup of peas into a pot of boiling water, cooked them for a few minutes, drained and cooled them in the fridge.

Just before you're ready to serve, maybe say - 15 minutes - stir the mayo mixture into the corn chips.  This will make them a little soft, but will keep them super-crunchy.


Then stir in the cooled peas and corn.


And serve!  (Seriously, that bowl could have been so much cleaner for this picture - shame on bowl)

We were actually surprised at how much we enjoyed this strange little salad!  I do think our only recommendation would have been to use unsalted corn chips (Dee says you can get them in the bulk section of the grocery store - or at Bulk Barn) or to use the Chili Cheese Corn Chips, based on the idea that you can find them.

I didn't end up using all the peas and corn called for by the recipe, I just felt like it was too much.  Although the bag I used might have been a little on the light side.

Because Dee wouldn't stop EATING them.

xoxo, the Cane Girl.
Corn Chip Salad

1 (10 1/2 oz) bag corn chips
2 cans corn
1/2 cup peas
3/4 cup mayo
1 packet taco seasoning
  1. Cook the corn and peas and cool in the refrigerator.
  2. In a small bowl, mix together the mayo and desired amount of taco seasoning (I did NOT use the whole packet), refrigerate until ready to serve.
  3. Pour the corn chips into a salad bowl and stir in the mayo mixture.  Add the corn and peas to your liking and stir to combine.
Source:  Slightly adapted from Mennonite Girls Can Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment