Friday 27 July 2012

It's My Birthday! Cake Batter Pancakes

Oh, Jessica.  You're so awesome.

For the second birthday treat I chose - it was Jessica's Cake Batter Pancakes.

Oh.  My.

The best part - they went together really quickly.  They literally couldn't have been easier.  Or more pretty.  Or more yummy!

I halved the recipe - because it was just me for breakfast that morning.


In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cake mix, baking powder, sugar, and salt.  I think next time I would sift the flour and cake mix into the bowl, because the cake mix looked a little lumpy.  Even with a bunch of vigorous whisking it was still a tiny bit lumpy.


But that's just me.  Maybe I don't have big enough whisking muscles..... 

Probably.

Add in milk, egg, and vanilla and stir to combine.


I ended up adding a little more milk to thin out the batter - because it looked a little thick to me.  Jessica suggests that this might have to happen.

Heat a griddle to medium heat.

Just before portioning the pancakes onto the griddle, I added in the sprinkles because I knew the color would probably run a little bit.


HOW PRETTY!!!!!   eeeeeeee!!!!


Jessica recommends 1/4 cup portions for each pancake - and that's what I did - they were just the right size.

Cook for 2 or 3 minutes on one side and then flip to the other side for another couple of minutes - I think that my griddle was not as hot as it could have been because they didn't come out very golden. 

To be honest?  I've never made pancakes before.  EVER.  My Mom was always in charge of pancakes!  (How I miss breakfast for dinner - homemade pancakes and syrup.  Mom, I probably love you best!)

To top off these lovelies - Jessica recommends a glaze that's pretty simple to throw together too - icing sugar, milk, and vanilla.





And sprinkles!

Of course!

Oh.  My.  Cavities.


These were DELICIOUS!  Sort of the most wonderful love child of cake and pancakes.  Fluffy and YUMMY! 

I'd definitely make these again!


Thanks Jessica for helping me to celebrate my birthday!

Happy Birthday to the Cane girl!
Cake Batter Pancakes

Pancakes:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup yellow cake mix
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk (more as needed)
sprinkles

Glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 tablespoon milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
sprinkles
  1. To make the glaze, stir together the icing sugar, milk, and vanilla extract.  Add milk in small increments until the glaze is the consistency you want.  Then add in the sprinkles to your liking and mix.
  2. Preheat a griddle to medium heat.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cake mix, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
  4. Add 1 cup of milk, the eggs, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.  If the batter looks too thick, add milk in small additions until it reaches the desired consistency.
  5. Just before portioning, add sprinkles (just as much as you'd like) to the batter, and stir to combine.  Don't worry if the color runs a little.
  6. Portion the batter using a 1/4 cup measuring cup onto the preheated griddle.
  7. Cook about 2 - 3 minutes or until bubbles are formed around the edges and on top.
  8. Flip pancake and cook for 1 minute more (or so - just use your judgement).
  9. Top with glaze and serve.
Source:  How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment