Monday 23 July 2012

Mac & Cheese Mondays: Creamy Mac & Cheese

Today's Mac & Cheese recipe comes to us courtesy of Bev K from Mennonite Girls Can Cook.

I'm not sure how many times I can say I love these ladies....  They are just fantastic!  Do go and have a look at their blog!  Everything I've tried from their kitchens has been a WINNER!

I decided to make this Mac & Cheese to serve with my Chicken Caesar Sandwiches.  Because this Mac & Cheese doesn't have a lot of "extras" I figured it would be a perfect side to such a bold flavored sandwich.

I even turned on my oven to make this.  Which I didn't regret because it was SO delicious and creamy.

It's a perfectly simple recipe. 

Make a white sauce, pour over some cooked macaroni, add some cheddar - repeat.  Bake.




Yum.

Bev also suggests that this sauce can be made in the microwave!  I just prefer the stove top method - then I can keep an eye on the goings-on.

In a greased baking dish, add half the macaroni.  Then pour half the white sauce over top.  Then sprinkle on some cheddar.

I should have used more cheddar, but not being sure, I just added what I had shredded and left it at that.

Then repeat the layers.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until bubbling.

Serve.


For such a "plain" recipe - it was so delicious and creamy it was ridiculous!

I thought that I should have used more cheddar - but that was definitely my mistake.

Also - instead of layering the pasta and the sauce I think next time I would mix the pasta into the sauce, add half of the pasta mixture to the baking dish, add a generous layer of cheddar, add the rest of the pasta mixture (make sure to scrape all that creamy goodness out of the pot!) and top with another generous layer of cheddar. 

That's just my personal preference.

So good.  SO good!

And SO easy!

Thank you so much Bev K!

This is the Cane girl - signing off.

Creamy Mac & Cheese

2 cups macaroni
Cheddar cheese, grated
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
  1. Cook macaroni according to package directions to al dente, drain, and set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. In a medium size pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour until smooth.
  4. Gradually add the milk, whisking vigorously until smooth.
  5. Season with salt and pepper.
  6. In a greased baking dish, put down a layer of macaroni, half the white sauce, and a layer of cheddar.
  7. Repeat layers.
  8. Bake in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until bubbling.
Source:  Mennonite Girls Can Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment