Thursday 29 March 2012

Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies (Version 1)

 *sigh*  I love the inklings of spring.

I especially love when the Valentine's crap gets shoved in a dark corner and the Easter stuff starts showing up.  Because it means Cadbury.  Creme.  Eggs. 

*eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

Now, I'm sure there are people out there in the world that don't like Creme Eggs.  I don't know any of those people.  Well, maybe I do - but I should stop associating with them immediately.  Cause no-one likes a Debbie Downer.

Juuuuust KIDDING!  Or not.

But seriously, most either love 'em or hate 'em.  Or you start out being unsure and then falling in love with them - like Dee. 

I fall on the side of LOVE 'EM!!!!  LOVE. LOVE. LOVE.  Since I was a kid, I always thought that the best Easter would be one when I woke up and found a basket STUFFED full of only Creme Eggs - I don't have any use for any other chocolates when those bad boys are around.  Of course, the Bunny always treated me very well - but I never did get that basket full of Creme Eggs.

And now that I'm a "grown up" (and let's be serious here - I use that term very loosely), I get to have all the Creme Eggs I want.  And boy, do I ever.  I'm sure people think I'm crazy.

I have to confess something to you.  I may or may not have used this blog as an excuse to purchase incredibly copious amounts of Creme Eggs, large and small. 

Heavy on the may have.

The first recipe we're going to make with Creme Eggs is (are?) Brownies.  I found this last year on Lindsey's blog, Gingerbread Bagels

I know I've gushed about Lindsey before, but I was looking at her blog the other day and I am stunned over and over again at how creative she is!  I can't WAIT to try more of her fantastic and fun recipes!!!!  She really does inspire me!!!  Gush, gush, gush.  I'm suffering from some serious blog envy.  And recipe envy.  And creative envy.  Basically, I wish I could think up recipes like that.  Basically, I wish I lived in the food part of Lindsey's brain.

I suppose I'll just have to settle for being a big ole' copier.

Because it comes with yummy treats.

Now to the Brownies.  Basically, you do up some brownies, cook most of the way, press Creme Egg halves into the batter and bake the rest of the way.


You sift together the cocoa powder, flour, and salt, then set aside.


Mix together the brown sugar, sugar, melted butter, vanilla until smooth and creamy.  Then add in the eggs, one at a time.

Add in the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.


Then fold in the chocolate chips.


Spread in a greased 8 x 8 inch baking pan.


Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.

While the brownies were in the oven, I used that time to half the Creme Eggs.

 
I admit - I had a complete brain fart when Lindsey's recipe called for 9 halves.  I couldn't wrap my head around it.  How did she get them in there?  Isn't that too many?  What the fork?

HEE-UUUGE brain fart. 

Then I realised why I couldn't get it.  I assumed she meant two rows of four.  But it's actually three rows of three.

Yeah - I'm an idiot.

So I pulled the brownies out after 25 minutes, gently pushed the egg halves into the batter (cut side up) and returned to the oven for 5 more minutes.  I tried to make sure the top of the cut egg was flush with the surface of the brownies.


And what did we think of them?

They were quite sweet - but totally decadent.  The Creme Egg fondant kind of sets up after baking and doesn't stay creamy.

But it's definitely a perfect excuse to make something created by the most awesome Lindsay!!!

And consume inappropriate amounts of Creme Eggs on the side when no-one's looking.

This is the Cane Girl, up to my elbows in Creme Eggs - signing off.

Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies

4 1/2 Cadbury Creme Eggs (or 9 halves)
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Lightly grease an 8 x 8 inch baking pan.
  2. Run a knife across the crease of each Creme Egg, kind of sawing the crease so the eggs won't crack when you cut through.  Set aside.
  3. Sift together flour, cocoa powder, and salt.  Set aside.
  4. In a stand mixer bowl using the paddle attachment, mix together the brown sugar, sugar, melted unsalted butter, and vanilla on medium speed.
  5. Add the eggs, one at a time.
  6. Slowly add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Do a final mix using a spatula.
  7. Fold in the chocolate chips.
  8. Spread the batter into the greased baking pan and bake for 25 minutes.
  9. Remove brownies from the oven and carefully press the Creme Eggs (cut side up) onto the surface of the brownies (in three rows of three). 
  10. Return the brownies to the oven and bake for 5 more minutes.
  11. Cool the brownies completely and then cut into pieces.
Source:  Gingerbread Bagels

No comments:

Post a Comment