Tuesday 7 August 2012

Carrot & Parsley Salad

When I made the Chicken Caesar Sandwiches for dinner the other night, I knew that I'd need a side that was light and not over powering - since the sandwiches were such a bold flavor. 

I remembered seeing this while I was scouring the Mennonite Girls Can Cook blog. 

I figured it would be perfect.

It's pretty simple really.  Carrots, parsley, garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.


Quick and easy to put together, loaded with all the goodness that carrots have to offer!

And the best part - you can make it in the morning (or the night before) and it'll be ready to go anytime you're ready!

Sheesh - those Girls are awesome!

I pulled out my food processor and got to work shredding the carrots.

Oh. My. Goodness.

It was so fast that when I was done I had no idea what to do next! 

Oh food processor - how I lived without you before, I have no idea.

Now - I'm not sure, but I SWEAR that my food processor makes little sticks and my hand-held grater makes thinner shreds (which might be better for carrot cake - I'll have to remember that).  Or maybe I'm just having crazy-time. 

I'm totally testing out the theory.

The SHRED SIZE theory!  Not my level of craziness!

Geez.

Anyway - shred/grate up 3 1/2 cups carrots.

Isn't that PRETTY?!

Chop up a bunch of fresh parsley and add that to the carrots.


Add one minced garlic clove.


Add three tablespoons of lemon juice - I just happened to have some lemons around so I used fresh juice.

Then 1/4 cup of olive oil.  (Trish suggests that you could use vegetable oil too.  Actually, the recipe says to use vegetable oil and that olive oil would be a fine substitute.)


And 1/2 teaspoon of salt then stir together.

Trish says you could serve this right away, or cover and refrigerate until time to serve.  It will keep in the fridge for 2 - 3 days.  Mine was made mid-morning and served for dinner.


This is a GREAT alternative to other salads.  Light and refreshing with a tanginess from the lemon juice.  Perfect for summer time!


And carrots help you see in the dark.

So that's cool.

This is the Cane girl - signing off.

Carrot & Parsley Salad

3 1/2 cups grated carrots
1 bunch parsley, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup oil (vegetable or olive)
1/2 tsp salt
  1. Combine all and toss well.
  2. Salad can be made ahead of time and refrigerated, covered with plastic wrap until ready to serve.  Toss before serving.
  3. Salad will keep for 2 to 3 days.
Source:  Mennonite Girls Can Cook

2 comments:

  1. Heather this looks yummy!!! I have a question - did you use big carrots to shred up or the little baby ones?

    I'm going to try this for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used regular sized carrots - but the baby ones would work just as well I think!

      Delete