Tuesday 19 March 2013

Lobster Pot Pie

Two years ago, I decided to stop boring my Mom telling her about all the yummy things I was making.  Rambling on and on about all the little details and driving her crazy. 

So I started this blog.  For the longest time, I actually kept it really private, restricting the settings so that only people who actually knew the link could find it.

The reason why?  Long and boring. 

And a while ago I changed my privacy settings so that it would just be out there in the universe.  I also started sharing on Facebook in January.

The response has been overwhelming and really exciting. 

Today marks my 2 year blogiversary.  I thought about what I could do to mark this day and I knew what would be just perfect. 

I saw this on Tastespotting and couldn't stop thinking about it.

I was somewhat intimidated by the long list of ingredients and many, many steps required.

But I put my hair up and went to it.


Before I go any further, I have to say that I was completely confounded by the leeks.  I had no idea how to deal with them.  I found this GREAT video on YouTube, and I was confounded no longer.

If you're unsure about leeks, you can check out this video here

After all the veggies are all chopped and ready to go, heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.


Add the leeks, carrots, celery, potatoes, garlic, and bay leaf to the olive oil.


Add the Old Bay seasoning and a little salt and pepper.  Cook for 5 minutes until the veggies are softened.


Add the butter and stir until melted.


Sprinkle on the flour and stir to combine.  Cook for about 1 minute.


Add the white wine and cook until thickened - it won't take long.


Add the seafood stock.


Add the half and half.  Stir to combine and bring to a bubbling simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring constantly.


This is where you want to cook the lobster tails in boiling water for 5 minutes.  There are four lobster tails here.  It took four to make the recipe recommended 1 1/2 pounds total weight.  Mine were probably super-small.


I AM in land-locked Alberta, after all.

Run under cold water then remove the meat from the shells and chop into 1-inch pieces.


When the vegetable mixture has finished cooking - it will be thick and heavenly - add the peas.


Then the lobster meat and the chopped parsley and simmer for another 5 minutes or so.


Fish out the bay leaf and pour the mixture into a casserole dish.  I was going to serve this in individual ramekins as recommended - and I thought that my french onion soup dishes would be big enough, but they were way too small.  They would only hold 1 cup of the lobster mixture.


Top with puff pastry.


Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the puff pastry is golden.  I would recommend two things.  Firstly, when cutting the puff pastry, cut it so that it hangs over the edges of the ramekin/casserole dish.  Secondly, brush the puff pastry with melted butter so that it cooks to be really nice and golden.

Mine pulled away from the edges.


At the last minute, I decided that I wanted to serve this over rice.


Told you I'm strange.

Truthfully, I expected this to be way more rich than it actually was.  And it was completely delicious and wonderful.  The only change I would make is to use heavy cream instead of half and half because I thought the sauce wasn't as thick as it could have been.


Yeah - just trust me and make it.

And maybe snuggle with a sweet puppy if there's one about.


Have fun and enjoy!

The Cane girl.

Lobster Pot Pie

2 leeks, sliced
2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
2 large ribs celery, sliced
3 red potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
salt and pepper
handful of fresh parley, finely chopped
1 cup peas
2 lobster tails, about 1 1/2 pounds total weight
3 Tablespoons butter
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup white wine
3 cups seafood stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 sheet puff pastry
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
  3. Add the prepped leeks, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic and bay leaf.
  4. Add the Old Bay seasoning and salt and pepper.  Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
  5. Add the butter and stir until melted.
  6. Sprinkle the flour over top of the vegetables and cook for 1 minute.
  7. Add the wine and cook until the wine has thickened.
  8. Add the seafood stock and heavy cream.  Being to a bubbling simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring constantly.
  9. While the vegetable mixture is cooking, cook lobster tails in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. 
  10. Run the lobster tails under cold water until cool enough to handle.  Remove the meat from the shells.  The lobster will be somewhat undercooked and this is fine - it will finish cooking in the oven.
  11. Chop into 1-inch size pieces.
  12. Add the peas, lobster, and parsley to the simmering vegetable mixture.  Cook until heated through.
  13. Divide the mixture between individual 2-cup ramekins or pour the whole mixture into an appropriately sized casserole dish.
  14. Top with puff pastry.  Brush the puff pastry with melted butter.
  15. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling and the puff pastry is golden.
Source:  Lisa's Dinnertime Dish

1 comment:

  1. It was delicious Heather - YUM! Also, can you send me the pic of Zoe - I want to send it to Zoe's vet - she was trying to take pictures of her today and you know how camera shy the little pup can be. This was a really good one - Dr. Chan wanted a pic to show off Zoe's unusual dapple brindle colouring.

    ReplyDelete