Thursday 3 July 2014

Molten Lava Cakes

I can't believe that it's been nearly two months since my last post.  I'm not quite sure what happened!
 
So...  To buy your love and adoration - I've decided something sweet and decadent and wonderful is exactly what I needed to roll out.
 
How about molten lava cakes? 
 
Lava cakes have always confounded me.  I've never really understood the science behind them.  How does the outside get cooked, the inside stay a liquid, and it qualifies as cooked?
 
The truth is..... 
 
Who really gives a crap?  They're delicious.
 
And surprisingly E.A.S.Y.
 
So here's what you're going to need.  I should mention here that I did leave out the espresso powder called for in the original recipe - but only because of my personal preference.
 

Melt the butter and chocolate together in a saucepan - over low heat and stirring constantly.  Once it's melted - remove from the heat and let cool slightly.  You don't want the chocolate to be too hot or it will scramble the eggs.

 
While the chocolate and butter are melting, whisk together the eggs (yolks and whole ones),
 

And the icing sugar.

 
I opted to toss in a little splash of vanilla extract.

 
Whisk in the chocolate - until JUST combined.

 
And the tiny little bit of flour.  Again - whisk until JUST combined.

 
Spray ramekins with non-stick cooking spray.  And when I say spray - I mean GENEROUSLY.  Divide the chocolate mixture between the ramekins and bake.  The centers should be soft and puffed up and a toothpick inserted into the outer edge of the cake should come out clean. 
 
Don't overbake!  Otherwise the center will be cooked through - which defeats the purpose.



I'm sorry to say that I didn't take a picture of this after I cut into it.  I was WAY too excited to even consider grabbing the camera.  (I know.)

Gosh these were SO GOOD!  And SO impressive!!! 

After having made them a few times (and still not getting a cut picture!) - I have this to say.

This recipe reduces perfectly.  I've made two cakes, four cakes, and all six cakes - each size works beautifully.  I've served them plain with icing sugar, topped with fruit, and with a caramel sauce.

To be honest - I'm not sure I NEED to keep looking for a lava cake recipe.  This one is so perfect.  Many thanks to Zainab for this recipe.

To all of you out there in the internet-land - this recipe is totally worth shelling out for a set of ramekins.  Even if THIS recipe is all you use them for.

I hope I've successfully slid back into your good books.

With dessert.

And chocolate.

You're welcome (in advance).

xoxo - Heather

Molten Lava Cakes

6 ounces 60% cacao bittersweet chocolate
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3 whole eggs, room temperature
3 egg yolks, room temperature
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
Small splash of vanilla extract (about 1 teaspoon)
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Generously grease six ramekins with non-stick baking spray.
  2. In a small pot over low heat, combine the chocolate and butter.  Stir until melted and remove from heat until slightly cooled.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the whole eggs and egg yolks.
  4. Whisk in the icing sugar and vanilla until just combined.
  5. Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined.
  6. Whisk in the flour, again until just combined.
  7. Evenly divide the mixture between the ramekins.
  8. Bake in the preheated oven 12 - 14 minutes.  Watch for the center of the cake to be soft-looking and puffed up.  A toothpick inserted into the outer edge of the cake should come out clean. 
  9. Remove the cooked cakes from the oven, run a knife around the outer edge of the cakes to help loosen them from the ramekins, and let stand for a few minutes before turning out onto a plate.
Notes:
* This recipe can be reduced to serve 2 or 4.  And it's so easily done.
* It may take a couple of tries before you figure out the best cook time for your cakes.  I found mine was best at about 11 minutes, 30 seconds.
* Top with whatever you want!!!  Whipped cream, icing sugar, caramel sauce - the list goes on.

Source:  Blahnik Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment