And you need a side. Like, a gooey, creamy, cheesy, carby, potatoey, side.
Look no further - I would totally recommend THESE scalloped potatoes.
Cause they're AH-MAZING!!!
You're going to have to slice up red potatoes pretty thin-like. I used my mandolin. And I had perfectly same-sized potato slices right lickety-split.
But you could also do the same with a steady hand and a very sharp knife.
Layer the potatoes into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Don't worry if not all the potatoes fit. Not all of mine did.
Then, you'll need to make the sauce.
Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
Then add in the onion and garlic.
Cook until the onion is translucent and softened. Then add in the cream of broccoli soup.
Then the cream of celery soup.
And the milk.
And the cheddar cheese.
After the cheese is all melted, pour the sauce mixture over top of the potatoes. Don't worry - the sauce will make it down into the bottom of the pan.
And top with additional cheddar. A LOT of cheddar.
I mean - you've come this far already.
Cover and bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake an additional 10.
To test if the potatoes are done, just stick a knife in the center. If the potatoes are ready, the knife will just slide right in. If not, bake for an additional 10 minutes.
For this particular dinner, I served the potatoes with Salisbury Steak. I was slightly underwhelmed by the steak, but the potatoes blew my socks off.
I would have gladly just curled up with the pan and a fork and ate potatoes until I couldn't anymore. Like I said before, they're creamy, gooey, cheesy, and carby.
And you can find out right nowish how great these truly are because they would pair beautifully with the gorgeous, delicious ham that will grace your tabletop this weekend!
Happy Easter to you and yours!
Xoxo - Heather
8 large red potatoes
3 Tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of broccoli soup
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper
4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a large baking dish.
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Slice into 1/8 inch thick slices. Spread the potatoes into the prepared baking dish.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat melt and butter. Add the onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the soups, salt, pepper, and about half of the shredded cheddar and heat through until the cheese is melted.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the potatoes. Top with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil and cook until the cheese begins to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Let stand for about 10 minutes then serve.