Since "it's" officially frozen over here in Alberta, what with the - um - blizzards. I thought we should do this noodle bake. I was going to hold off until fall to share this with you, but I certainly think we need a little casserole-y happiness in our day when there's snow on the ground on May 7th.
If you look at the cast of characters below - there's not a whole lot going on. 9 ingredients. Really! Only 9. And I'm sure you're wondering - how can that be good? Well, stay with me.
In a large skillet or frying pan, cook the ground beef until only a little pink remains. Less pink than in the picture below.
Then add in the tomato sauce.
And the salt and pepper.
Then cover with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes.
While the meat is simmering, cook the noodles.
And in a large bowl combine: the sour cream.
The cottage cheese.
And the green onions.
When the noodles are cooked, throw those into the bowl too. And stir it all together.
Once the meat is cooked and the noodle mixture is stirred together, get a 7 x 11 baking dish.
EEK! No pics here! Sorry! Will definitely update with some when I make this again.
Dump half the noodles into the bottom of the baking dish.
Top with half of the meat mixture.
And half the cheese. You could totally add some more cheese if you want!
Bake for 20 minutes or until all the cheese is melted.
And scarf it down.
Trust me. You're going to LOVE this really simple casserole.
It's hearty and creamy without being rich and the noodles lighten it up enough so that you don't feel guilty about taking seconds.
Or thirds in my case.
How can 9 ingredients be so delicious? Why don't you whip this up tonight on this grey, snowy day and find out for yourself!
Oh. And I totally recommend consuming this with a big chunk of bread and a Caesar salad.
xoxo - Heather
Sour Cream Noodle Bake
1 1/4 pound ground beef (or chuck)
1 15 ounce can of tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 ounces, weight Egg Noodles
1/2 cup sour cream
1 1/4 cup small curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup green onions (less depending on taste)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, brown the beef until just a little pink remains. Drain off any accumulated fat.
- Add in the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir together and simmer while preparing the other ingredients. (I should note here that I already had the cheese grated and the onions chopped, so I simmered the meat for about 20 minutes)
- Cook the egg noodles to al dente according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, cottage cheese, and green onions. Add the drained noodles and stir together.
- Pour half the noodle mixture into the bottom of a 7 x 11 baking dish. Top with half the ground beef. Then half the cheese. Repeat.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.