Friday 3 November 2017

Swedish Meatballs

I used to work at a transportation company and we had HUGE potlucks at Christmas.  There could very well be up to 30 different dishes to choose from. 

And every year I looked forward to my boss's contribution dish which he dubbed "Swedish Meatballs".

And I BEGGED him for the recipe.  That old sneak gave me A recipe for Swedish Meatballs, but - as it turns out - it was not HIS recipe for Swedish Meatballs.  So I've been on the hunt ever since.

But I still come across wonderful recipes for Swedish Meatballs such as this one.  While it's not at all the same recipe - it's still delicious and I feel like you should give it a whirl too.

Let's start with the meatballs.


In a large bowl, combine the beef and the pork.


Add the panko crumbs.


And two eggs..

This is ONE egg.  I got twins!!!  Has this ever happened to you?  It was my first!



Toss the twins (egg) into the bowl with the meat too.


Add the onion powder and black pepper.


Mix together and divide the meat mixture into 1-inch diameter balls.

Fry in the butter and olive oil until browned.


Remove the browned meatballs from the large skillet and set aside.

Then make the gravy.


In the skillet, melt the butter.


Add the flour.  Whisk together and cook until golden.


Slowly whisk in the beef broth whisking constantly.  Cook until thickened.

Add the sour cream and salt and pepper.  Add in the meatballs and simmer in the gravy for 10 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.


I served the meatballs with rice - but mashed potatoes would be EXCELLENT with this as well!


Creamy and filling without being rich or heavy.  I really enjoyed this recipe!  It's easy and straightforward as well as fast put together.

The recipe calls for nutmeg, but I left it out because I don't love it.  You could throw it in if you want, or just a tiny bit, or whatever your heart desires.

Back to another point - I changed my mind - I would absolutely serve this with mashed potatoes in the future.  It's the only thing that makes sense.  So please, do yourself a favor and have the mashed potatoes.

I also think that the kiddos would love it too!

Enjoy! - Heather


Swedish Meatballs
Meatballs:
400 grams ground beef
400 grams ground pork
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
2 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon olive oil

Gravy:
1/4 cup butter
1/3 cup flour
4 cups beef stock
3/4 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
  1. Combine all the ingredients listed for the meatballs, leaving out the butter and olive oil.  Divide the mixture into small balls approximately an inch in diameter.  Set the meatballs aside.
  2. In a large, heavy skillet melt the butter and olive oil until shimmering.  Fry the meatballs until browned on all asides, but not cooked all the way through.  Remove the meatballs and set aside.
  3. Make the gravy: To the same skillet, melt the butter and whisk in the flour.  Cook until the flour is golden.
  4. Start adding in the beef stock a little at a time, whisking constantly until combined.  Cook until thickened.  Stir in the sour cream, salt, and pepper and whisk until combined.
  5. Add the meatballs back to the gravy, bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
  6. Serve with mashed potatoes.
Source: Angsarap

2 comments: