Sunday 20 May 2018

Southwest Burgers

It's TIME!  Time for BURGERS!  Which means it's summer time.  *sigh*  I'm so happy!

I started making fancy burgers a couple of years ago - and I have to say that I never get bored of doing them!

I make the buns from scratch each burger day.

I've started incorporating more fun sides rather than just fries and salad.

It makes me HAPPY!  Like summer makes me HAPPY!

I highly recommend that you take a moment and peruse the list found on my Recipe Index page.  There are some AMAZING burgers that I've made that you shouldn't miss out on.

Let's get going on these Southwest Burgers.

There aren't very many ingredients - but they all pack a punch.


First, in a large mixing bowl, combine a couple of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (chopped really well).


Then add some adobo sauce.  And grated onion.


And the onion powder.


Then the cumin.


Salt and pepper to taste.  And then the ground beef.  Then mix it together - don't over mix! - and divide and shape into four patties.  Don't overwork the meat or the burgers will be tough.

So there's no pictures here because I probably forgot or got busy or distracted by my cute niece or my brother's dog.  It happens.  Fret not.

The sauce for this burger is going to be a mix of mayo, adobo sauce, lime juice, and cilantro (which isn't present in this picture).

Combine everything in a medium bowl and store in the fridge.  This could be made earlier in the day so it has time to come together.


Cook up the burgers with Monterey Jack cheese on top.  But you could also do a cojita or queso fresco if  you wanted.


Top with the sauce.


And avocado and lettuce.


The avocado is the perfect accompaniment to the smoky flavor of the burgers.

I loved these burgers - I love the creamy avocado, the smoky meat, and the brightly flavored mayo is fantastic. 

If you like southwest tex mex - then this is the burger for you!

Enjoy!

Southwest Burgers

Burgers:
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 1/2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
1 1/2 Tablespoons adobo sauce
1/4 cup grated onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Monterey Jack Cheese slices
Avocado, sliced
Lettuce, sliced

Chipotle-Lime Mayo
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoon lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoon adobo sauce
2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro

Hamburger Buns
  1. Chipotle-Lime Mayo: combine all four ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate.  This can be made in advance and kept in the fridge until ready.
  2. Burgers: In a large bowl, combine the beef, chipotle peppers, adobo sauce, onion, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.  Mix until just combined.  Don't overwork the meat.
  3. Form into four patties (don't overwork) and cook.
  4. Serve on buns with Chipotle-Lime Mayo, Monterey Jack cheese, avocado, and lettuce and other toppings as desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment