Tuesday 22 January 2019

The Most Amazing Meat Sauce

I want to say that in my old age, I've become incredibly finicky about pasta sauce.  But the truth is that I've always been sort of finicky about pasta sauce.  I prefer cream sauces - sauces that are rich and stick to pasta like a warm, happy coat.

The other thing is that sometimes I find the meat sauce in lasagna too runny and it kind of grosses me out.

Until I met THIS meat sauce and my life was changed.  It's thick and rich and meaty and is amazing in lasagna and on a bed of bigoli pasta too.

It takes some time, so it's a great project for an afternoon - or an evening - that you'll be tucked into your house in your jammies.  Also - it freezes BEAUTIFULLY, so you can make a batch and use it right away, or freeze it for later on.

I actually made this ages and AGES ago for the first time - but totally forgot to take pictures to share with you and decided to hang on to it.  I think though, I've had totally writer's block, because THIS recipe was always the one I wanted to share with you "next" and I never got to do it.  Good thing I like to have some in the freezer "just in case".

The list of ingredients in actually fairly short.


Heat the oil in a large pot or ceramic baking dish.


Add the beef and pork.  (the original recipe calls for beef, pork, and veal - but I can't always get veal)


Once the meat is browned, add the onions.


Then the garlic.


The add the basil.  It looks like a LOT, but just stay with me.


Then the salt and pepper are next.


Stir in the red wine and cook until it's fairly evaporated.


Then add the crushed tomatoes.


And the tomato puree.


This is what the sauce looks like when you start out.


And this is what it looks like after three hours of simmering and stirring.  You don't need to pay TOO much attention to it, but it does need to be stirred so it doesn't burn.



And then after is sits in the fridge overnight.


It's kind of beautiful isn't it.

After it was done, I portioned out two heavy duty freezer bags with 5 cups each (the amazing lasagna bolognese that I LOVE uses 5 cups).  I had about two cups left over, so I portioned out about two 3/4 servings to have for supper over a couple of nights.  Needless to say - it make a LOT.

The first time I made this, I couldn't buy tomato puree, so I had to improvise.  But now - for whatever reason (I'm NOT complaining) - the grocery stores have suddenly started carrying it - even here in my little border city.  It'll probably be labelled as "strained tomatoes".  BUT - if you can't find tomato puree to purchase, you can improvise with this recipe.

I hope that you enjoy this as much as I do!  



The Most Amazing Meat Sauce

3 Tablespoons olive oil
8 ounces beef*
8 ounces pork*
8 ounces veal*
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 Tablespoons dried basil
1 teaspoon of salt (or to taste)
1/2 teaspoon of pepper (or to taste)
1/2 cup red wine
2 - 28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
28 ounce jar of tomato puree (strained tomatoes)
  1. Heat the olive oil in a 5 quart pot over medium heat until shimmering.
  2. Add the meats and cooking until the meat is browned  - ensuring to break up the meat as it's cooking.
  3. Stir in the chopped onions and garlic and cook until the onions are soft and translucent - this should take about 7 to 10 minutes.
  4. Add the basil and the salt and pepper.
  5. Stir in the red wine and cook until the wine is nearly evaporated.
  6. Pour in the crushed tomatoes and tomato puree and stir to combine.  Reduce the heat to low (the lowest heat possible) and cover with the lid slightly ajar.  Simmer, stirring occasionally for two to three hours.
  7. Allow to cool and use right away, or freeze in heavy duty freezer bags to use later.
*If you cannot find veal, use 12 ounces of beef and 12 ounces of pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment