Friday 13 September 2019

Cheesy Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole

Fall means the return of that crisp, cool air (you know what I'm takin' about) - which means it's time to take out coats, blankies, and comfort food.

Don't get me wrong - I don't LOVE fall.  I so much prefer Summer, but Spring and Fall are directly tied for second-best.  Winter is dead last.  Which is horrible because, in Canada, winter lasts for approximately 325 days a year.

I just like Fall FOOD so much.  Casseroles, baked pastas, roast chicken, mashed potatoes, soups, stews, chili.  *SIGH*

Doesn't just the thought of all that make you feel and warm and cozy and carby inside?

With Fall in full swing, it means that people are running all over the place with school and activities and just life in general.

So I thought I'd share a pretty easy casserole with you!  Cheesy, tex-mexy, carby, and comforting - it's really perfection in a pan.

I want to say that this would make an amazing weeknight meal.  That being said, the recipe calls for cooking the rice especially for this dish and THEN putting together the casserole and baking it.  Which can add quite a bit of time.  So - yes - a quick weeknight meal this is, kinda.



First, cook up the rice with the chicken broth.  And let it cool slightly.


Spread the refried beans in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.


To the rice, add the chicken,


Enchilada sauce,


Cream of chicken soup, 


a can of green chiles,


Green onions,


Cubed cream cheese, 


Black beans,


Shredded Mexican Cheese blend,


Stir it all together really well and then spread over the refried beans.


Cover with foil, bake for 35 minutes, remove the foil, sprinkle with some more cheese, bake a little longer until the cheese is all melty.


And serve.


SO MUCH delicious in one pan.  Absolute perfection on a cold evening.  It's just comfort in a pan.  It has become one of my favorite casseroles to date.

You could double the refried beans if you want - they do get a little lost with everything else.  I haven't tried it yet, so if you do double the beans, let me know what you think!

The other thing I would do differently is cube the cream cheese way smaller.  It was wonderful just as it was, but I think it would be a little "extra" if the cream cheese was distributed more throughout the rice.

I know I mentioned that this - to me - was only kind of a weeknight meal.  I'm thinking of my friends who have kids in sports in the evenings and if they DO happen to have time to cook the rice and put everything together and bake it all for 45 minutes (I'm guessing this should take just over an hour from start to finish), then it would be a great weeknight meal - nice and hearty for the kiddos.  For my friends who get home from work at 5 and then have to turn around straight out the door - maybe not.  Again - I would love to hear your thoughts!


I hope you love this as much as I do!!!




Cheesy Mexican Chicken and Rice Casserole

1 1/2 cups rice, uncooked
3 cups chicken stock
1 16-ounce refried beans
3 cups shredded chicken
1 10-ounce can enchilada sauce
1 10-ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 4-ounce can of chopped green chiles
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
8 ounces cream cheese, cut into small cubes
3 green onions, thinly sliced
12 ounces Mexican shredded cheese blend
  1. Prepare rice according to the package instructions, replacing the water with the chicken stock.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray and spread the refried beans on the bottom of the baking dish.
  4. Combine the rice, chicken, enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup, green chiles, black beans, cream cheese, green onions, and 8 ounces of shredded cheese in a large bowl.  Spread over the refried beans.
  5. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 minutes.  Remove the foil and sprinkle the remaining 4 ounces of shredded cheese over the top.  Return to the oven and continue baking until the cheese is completely melted - about 7 - 10 minutes.
  6. Serve immediately.
Source:  Mom on Timeout

No comments:

Post a Comment