Thursday 24 October 2019

Guinness Pulled Pork

I think that pulled pork is one of those things that people LOVE and everyone has their own way of making it.  And I never pass up an opportunity to try someone's pulled pork and either ask them for their recipe or force them to make it for me over and over.

For example - my friend Kayla's pulled pork is always delicious and juicy and light (though I've never asked her for her recipe ;) - it's one of my favorite dishes that comes out of her company's kitchen and I order it all the time!).  And Bushmen's Smokehouse - damn kids.  I would veer off the road every time I saw their truck set up to serve.  Their pulled pork is heavy, saucy, smoky, and to die for.  I ordered it as often as I could and hoarded leftovers like a squirrel prepping for winter.

I have my own way of prepping pulled pork.  Just a tenderloin in a little root beer and cook on low in the slow cooker until tender.  Add BBQ sauce and done.  I typically do a tenderloin because it's not very fatty and it's super easy to deal with.

But when I want to amp it up a little, I pick up a shoulder or a butt and choose between a couple of different pulled pork recipes and get to it.

We should all know by now - that the addition of beer (or pop!) majorly tenderizes meat.  I also picked out this recipe because it had very few spices - which meant that most of the flavor profile would come from the Guinness


Also - I put it together in like 4 seconds.  lol

First - slice up the onion and put it all in the bottom of the slow cooker.


Combine the smoked paprika, red pepper flakes, garlic powder, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.


Rub it all over the pork shoulder.

ALL OVER.

Just like that.  And put the shoulder on the bed of onions.


Then pour the beer into the slow cooker.  The recipe says to pour the beer on top - but then that would wash away your lovely rub!  So I just pour it in and covered it up.


Then, cook it on low for a gazillion hours.

Or 10 - 12 hours.

Once the pork starts to fall apart easily, pull it out of the slow cooker, let it cool a little and remove the fat and shred the meat.

I also pulled out the onions and set them aside.  I poured out the cooking liquid and let the fats separate out.

After the meat is all shredded, I threw it back in the slow cooker, stirred in the onions, and stirred in some of the cooking liquid (that was separated out from the fat).

That's it.  No BBQ sauce.  Nothing extra needed to make it fancy or special.

But my gosh it's delicious!!!

Piled high on a homemade bun with a whole bunch of mayo.  It was absolute perfection.  Slightly sweet, a little bit of kick from the pepper flakes, juicy, and tender.  It didn't need anything else added to it!  Though if you wanted a little bite, you could put a little Dijon mustard on the bun.

I served this with Gnocchi Mac and Cheese (still to come!  Keep an eye out for that one!) and salad.  It was amazing.


Back to the pork.

Put it on buns (which is my favorite way!), or make it into tacos, or just have it by itself with a big old salad or mac and cheese.  I'm all about the carb life - so I like buns and mac and cheese!

ENJOY!  -xoxo Heather

Guinness Pulled Pork
1 Tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
4 pound boneless pork shoulder (or butt)
1 large white onion, thinly sliced
1 11.2 ounce bottle Guinness extra stout
  1. Place the sliced onions in the bottom of a slow cooker bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the paprika, salt, pepper flakes, garlic powder, and pepper.  Rub the spice mixture over the entire pork shoulder.
  3. Place the seasoned pork shoulder on the bed of onions in the slow cooker.
  4. Pour the beer into the bottom of the slow cooker.
  5. Cover and cook on low for 10 - 12 hours, until the pork shreds easily.
  6. Allow to cool until you can handle pulling the meat apart by hand.
  7. While you're waiting for the pork to cool, remove the onions to a medium sized bowl.  Pour out the cooking liquid and allow the fat to separate.
  8. Finish the pork by removing the fat cap and shredding the meat.  Place back in the slow cooker.  Stir in the onions and some of the cooking liquid (as much as desired).  Allow to heat through and serve.
Source:  Gimme Some Oven

No comments:

Post a Comment