Friday 2 January 2015

My Top 10 Favorite Posts of 2014

Although 2014 was somewhat - slow - in the posting department, the huge factor in the yumminess department was NOT disappointing!

My favorite from this year are do-overs, old-fashioned do-overs, sweetness, and all so amazing!

Some of the ones I chose for this list are the same was what landed on the 10 Most Popular list, some are not.

Here they are in no particular order.

1.  Root Beer Float Cream Pie

Creamy, light, flavorful - this pie would have been totally at home in an old-fashioned malt Shoppe.  And thanks to a little tidbit from my girl Kim - I have since discovered that root beer concentrate can be picked up at Bulk Barn or Michael's.  I totally love this pie.  Pretty it up with some Maraschino cherries and it would be the most perfect summer-time - or summer-time reminiscent dessert!

 
 
 
This would be the perfect recipe to feed someone who thinks chicken is boring.  Sweet, smoky, and tender - this recipe absolutely rocks.  Serve it on egg noodles or rice - or even mashed potatoes if you're so inclined.  Impressive and easy - it's definitely one of my most favorite chicken recipes.
 
 
 
 
 
I'm pretty proud of this dish.  The original recipe is not my own, but (in my opinion) the changes that I made to it DO make it my own!  It's so impressive that you could serve it to company on a special occasion, or to your sweetheart on a special day.  In my case, I would whip it out on a Friday night, just because.  Oh - and Make sure that after you stir in the noodles, you let it stand for a little bit - it thickens even further.  And have LOTS of soft delicious bread.
 
 
 
 
 
A very, VERY old recipe, popular in the Prairies of Canada, Flapper Pie is straight out of my Grandmother's cookbook.  It consists of a very simple custard on a cinnamon-flavored graham crust and topped with meringue.  I loved it.
 
 
 
 
I love soup.  I love thick, creamy, stick-to-your-ribs kind of soup.  This soup is no exception.  Although not the healthiest of soups around, it is so delicious I can hardly stand it.  And, while I'm not using Wisconsin cheese, it's a Wisconsin tradition to top beer cheese soup with popcorn.  I know it sounds super-weird, but I LOVED it.  And it totally works - don't knock it until you try it.
 
 
 
 
Talk about comfort food at it's finest.  Creamy mashed potatoes, garlic, cheese, and crispy fried onions on top.  I loved it because it's packed full of flavor and it's perfect as a side for when you don't have gravy from a roast.  Seriously do it.
 
 
 
 
Once upon a time, I thought that this dessert was something we could only order in a restaurant.  I had no idea how actually easy it would be!  I love this recipe because, while all the ingredients are totally accessible, it's easily adjustable to 2, 4, or 6 servings.  As for toppings, I've served it with powdered sugar, topped it with homemade caramel sauce and pink sea salt, and served it bare.  You could top it with whipped cream, fresh fruits - really, whatever your heart desires.
 
 
 
 
This was one of the first recipes I ever talked about on this blog.  I re-blogged it this year, with pictures, and it is still one of my favorite shrimp dishes.  I like mine on rice - but noodles would be yummy too!  Tons of flavor in an easy stirfry, I totally recommend it.
 
 
 
 
Spaghetti and Meatballs wasn't something we had too often in my house while we were growing up.  Don't get me wrong - my Mom makes a fantastic meat sauce, but I don't remember her ever making meatballs and pasta.  But that's okay!  It's a good thing that Michelle (The Brown Eyed Baker) has an Italian Grandma who makes incredible food!  The sauce is thick and grabs on to the pasta and the meatballs are packed full of flavor and are incredibly tender.  I totally loved this pasta dish.
 
 
 
 
This was the last dish I posted this year, but it was my absolute favorite from the whole year.  While visually stunning, it's also decadent, creamy, and full of flavor.  The chunks of lobster are tender and sweet.  The green beans have an exciting snap and add the perfect color and texture in contrast to the rice and lobster.  I would make it any day, for any reason.  I suggest you do the same!
 
 
 
So, there you have it.  My favorite 10 dishes of 2014.  All different, all wonderful!  I'm looking forward to what 2015 has in store for my kitchen!! 
 
All the best to you and yours - and I hope you'll stick around!
 
xoxo - Heather


1 comment: