I want me some PIE.
Specifically, Root. Beer. Float. Cream. PIE.
Let's start with the crust.
A very simple graham cracker crust - all the focus is on the filling here folks.
In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar.
Press into the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Then bake for about 7 minutes.
Then move on to the filling.
In the event that you are making a quick trip to the States, buy yourself some root beer extract. You might be seeing a few more root beer flavoured recipes coming up.
On the other hand, if you don't have and root beer extract, you could probably make this pie without it - but the flavor probably won't be as intense.
Also - you could use real whipped cream for this. But I was being lazy.
In a medium bowl, combine the pudding.
And root beer.
And the milk.
Then the root beer extract.
And combine everything until smooth and thickened.
Then add the Cool Whip - 3 cups.
8 ounces of Cool Whip is about 3 cups.
Confession time. I made this twice to be exact. The first time, I made the silly assumption that 8 ounces was only 1 cup. I was wrong. The Cool Whip is measured by weight.
Then gently fold everything together and spread into the prepared graham cracker crust.
This pie is TERRIFIC. It's light and fluffy and delicious - I LOVED it.
And even the version I made WRONG was amazing!
The root beer flavor was not too intense and paired perfectly with the graham cracker. Although I would say a shortbread or Nilla wafer crust would be awesome too.
Every time I think of pie......
(I've never posted a video in a post before..... If it doesn't work, click this link)
I love me some pie.
Now go make some!
Root Beer Float Cream Pie
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 (4 serving) package instant vanilla pudding
3/4 cup Root Beer
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons Root Beer Concentrate
8 ounces (3 cups) whipped topping (Cool Whip), thawed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 9" pie plate with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, butter, and sugar and stir until well mixed.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 7 minutes. Remove and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine pudding mix, root beer, milk, and root beer concentrate. Whisk for 2 minutes until mixture thickens.
- Fold in the thawed whipped topping and pour into the cooled crust.
- Chill for 8 hours or overnight until set.