Wednesday 29 January 2014

Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken

This recipe floated around Facebook and Pinterest for quite a while.

But the last time I made something that was everywhere on Pinterest - I was kind of underwhelmed.

(It was this chicken)

And to be honest - I have no idea why I decided to go ahead with this.  Especially based on my previous experience.

So I threw a frozen pizza into the freezer (just in case) and went about my business.

 
First things first is to prep the cooking liquid for the chicken.
 
In a medium-size bowl, combine the Sprite (or another type of Lemon-Lime flavoured pop),

 
the vinegar,

 
the brown sugar (yep, a full cup!  But stay with me)

 
a lot garlic, 

 
soy sauce,

 
annnnd the pepper.  I know it looks like a lot.  Just toss it in there.

 
Put the chicken breasts in the bowl of a slow cooker and pour the pop mixture over top.

 
Then cook.  I did mine on low for about 6 hours.
 
Then there's more.  But I forgot to take those pictures.  Or maybe I did and I just lost my mind and can't find them. 
 
Probably it's that last part.
 
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the cooking liquid.  Then pour the liquid into a medium-size pot and cook over high heat.
 
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth and add to the cooking liquid.  Bring the liquid to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes until it thickens and turns into a glaze.
 
Shred the chicken and pour the (now) glaze over top and stir to combine.

 
Then serve the chicken over noodles (or rice....  To be honest, I would prefer rice, but decided to shake things up a little have use egg noodles).


My GOODNESS this was delicious.  It even illicited a "Ummm, this is really good Heather" from my brother after the very first bite.

Oh, it is suggested that Red Pepper Flakes can be used as an optional garnish - my brother used them and decided that it made the chicken even better.

The smokiness from the soy sauce, the sweetness from the sugar and pop, the garlic - it was all delicious and perfect together.

I am completely delirious to report that I LOVED this recipe and have been sharing it with everyone who comes within earshot.

Make this for Sunday dinner.  Heck, make it for TUESDAY dinner.  Just make it.

xoxo - Heather

Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken

4 - 6 chicken breasts
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon-lime pop (like Sprite)
2 - 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water
Red pepper flakes (optional)
  1. Spray the bowl of a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Put the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker bowl.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, pop, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper.  Pour over the chicken.
  4. Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
  5. Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the bowl of the slow cooker and pull apart (if desired).
  6. Pour the remaining cooking liquid into a medium sized pot and start to cook over high heat.
  7. Whisk together the cornstarch and the water and pour into the cooking liquid.  Bring to a boil and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze.  Remove from the heat and let stand for a minute or two.  (The glaze will thicken continue to thicken as it cools)
  8. Pour the glaze over the chicken and stir to coat. 
  9. Serve over rice with red pepper flakes as an optional topping.
Source:  Six Sisters Stuff

1 comment:

  1. I will get your Dad to make this for me. The step by step and the pictures will be very helpful for him. :) I'm thinking this Sunday supper!

    ReplyDelete