But the last time I made something that was everywhere on Pinterest - I was kind of underwhelmed.
(It was this chicken)
And to be honest - I have no idea why I decided to go ahead with this. Especially based on my previous experience.
So I threw a frozen pizza into the freezer (just in case) and went about my business.
First things first is to prep the cooking liquid for the chicken.
In a medium-size bowl, combine the Sprite (or another type of Lemon-Lime flavoured pop),
the brown sugar (yep, a full cup! But stay with me)
a lot garlic,
annnnd the pepper. I know it looks like a lot. Just toss it in there.
Put the chicken breasts in the bowl of a slow cooker and pour the pop mixture over top.
Then cook. I did mine on low for about 6 hours.
Then there's more. But I forgot to take those pictures. Or maybe I did and I just lost my mind and can't find them.
Probably it's that last part.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the cooking liquid. Then pour the liquid into a medium-size pot and cook over high heat.
In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth and add to the cooking liquid. Bring the liquid to a boil and cook for a couple of minutes until it thickens and turns into a glaze.
Shred the chicken and pour the (now) glaze over top and stir to combine.
Then serve the chicken over noodles (or rice.... To be honest, I would prefer rice, but decided to shake things up a little have use egg noodles).
My GOODNESS this was delicious. It even illicited a "Ummm, this is really good Heather" from my brother after the very first bite.
Oh, it is suggested that Red Pepper Flakes can be used as an optional garnish - my brother used them and decided that it made the chicken even better.
The smokiness from the soy sauce, the sweetness from the sugar and pop, the garlic - it was all delicious and perfect together.
I am completely delirious to report that I LOVED this recipe and have been sharing it with everyone who comes within earshot.
Make this for Sunday dinner. Heck, make it for TUESDAY dinner. Just make it.
xoxo - Heather
Garlic and Brown Sugar Chicken
4 - 6 chicken breasts
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vinegar
1/4 cup lemon-lime pop (like Sprite)
2 - 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons cornstarch
2 Tablespoons water
Red pepper flakes (optional)
- Spray the bowl of a slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Put the chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker bowl.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, vinegar, pop, garlic, soy sauce, and pepper. Pour over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the bowl of the slow cooker and pull apart (if desired).
- Pour the remaining cooking liquid into a medium sized pot and start to cook over high heat.
- Whisk together the cornstarch and the water and pour into the cooking liquid. Bring to a boil and cook for 2 - 3 minutes, or until it starts to thicken and turns into a glaze. Remove from the heat and let stand for a minute or two. (The glaze will thicken continue to thicken as it cools)
- Pour the glaze over the chicken and stir to coat.
- Serve over rice with red pepper flakes as an optional topping.