Tuesday 1 November 2011

Cupcakes A to Z: Amaretto Cupcakes

My very first boozy cupcake!  I was very excited about this one.

And the recipe where it came from I decided to just simplify and change up a little bit.  Kate from Grin and Bake it took a chocolate cupcake recipe, cut a well into it, and filled it with cherries soaked in Amaretto and a little bit of buttercream.  She then topped it with an Amaretto buttercream.
So I took the chocolate cupcake recipe that I had made before, but I subbed in a tablespoon of Amaretto in the milk.  To be perfectly honest - you could NOT taste the Amaretto in the cupcake - which I sort of knew would happen, but decided just to roll with it anyway.

And then to the buttercream.  At first I was pretty hesitant because there isn't a ton of butter in it.  And it seemed like it wouldn't come together, then the heavy cream went in - and it came together beautifully!

So after all that is said and done, you add in a tablespoon of Amaretto.  Of course, I like to taste-test.  But I couldn't taste the Amaretto.  I added in more Amaretto, but it still couldn't taste it.  And I decided it would have to do.  I also coloured the buttercream a light pink just to dress it up.

I WAS somewhat disappointed.  The POINT is to really taste the Amaretto.  And while I was thinking about it, I thought that maybe if I made a reduction and then added the Amaretto that way it might work.  And then I was reading Heather at Sprinkle Bakes post about her Chianti Chocolate Cupcakes and she did a reduction of Chianti and the added additional Chianti from the bottle.  So I think my idea would work.  Eventually I'll try it Heather B's way and see if it works!

But in the end - the cupcake was decadant, the buttercream was wonderful so I don't have too much to complain about.

And I will try to make it again....

This is the Cane Girl - signing off.

Chocolate Cupcake Recipe - see the recipe under 100 Grand Cupcakes and sub in 1 tablespoon of Amaretto in the milk.

Amaretto Buttercream
To this I added 2 tablespoons Amaretto
2 pounds powdered sugar, sifted
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon Amaretto Liquer
  1. Beat butter and sifted powdered sugar.
  2. Gradually add half of cream. Continue to beat. 
  3. Add vanilla and Amaretto.
  4. Gradually add remaining cream.
  5. Beat until smooth.
Source: Grin and Bake It

No comments:

Post a Comment