Sunday 20 October 2013

Curry Sweet Potato Fries

I don't often put a lot of thought into sides.

Mostly because I could care less about vegetables. 

Scurvy.  It's a thing I'm bringing back.

But when I was living at my brother's house, and they have - well - a human being to raise and teach good habits to, I'm sort of forced to think about sides and vegetables.

Also, I have to think about healthy, non-white coloured sides and vegetables.

I figured that Joy the Baker's Curry Sweet Potato Fries would totally fit the bill.

And they are so simple.


Cut the sweet potatoes into evenly sized pieces.


If I had to make fries from scratch all the time I would get one of those press things.  Talk about a time-saver.

Please note at this point that I thought I would do 3 sweet potatoes.  I should have done 2.  Smallish ones.  Because 3 was too many.

Then, in a small bowl, whisk the egg until whitish and frothy.


Then add the curry powder,


cumin,


turmeric,


and crushed red pepper flakes,


and salt.  Stir to combine.


Toss the egg mixture with the sweet potato and spread out on the baking sheet.


And bake.

Now.  If you're like me and over-estimated how many sweet potatoes you need, then crammed them all together onto a cookie sheet, then baked them - those fries are likely to be soft and floopy and have almost no structure.

Don't be like me.

Over-crowding is bad.

And, if you're also like me, then you forgot to line your baking sheet and those fries stuck completely and totally on the sheets and it took you 45 minutes to scrub them down.

Don't be like me.

Not following instructions is silly.

Follow Joy's instructions.  She's smart and awesome.


The end result....  These were an awesome twist on the old standard of just plain old salted sweet potato fries.  And super healthy too.  Also, you'd expect them to be very spicy - but they're just a bit spicy which offsets the sweetness.

Pop on over to Joy's corner of the Internets and check them out.  You won't be sorry.


Source:  Joy the Baker

No comments:

Post a Comment