Wednesday 9 October 2013

Tuna Burgers

You know how when you're on a diet and you would sell your kidney for a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger?

Sometimes that happens to me.

And sometimes you want a tuna sandwich with mayo (but not TOO much - it can't be soggy) and salt and pepper and sometimes finely chopped celery and lovely soft fresh bread.

But.

You're on a diet so you need to improvise.

Try these on for size.


In a large bowl lightly beat the egg.


Add the breadcrumbs.


And the tuna.


Stir together.


Then add the celery.


And the onion and pimento.


Lemon juice, horseradish and garlic.


Last of all, the pepper.


Then form into 4 patties, or 8 if you're like me and have to make sure that there's lunch for the next day.  If you're finding that the mixture is really wet, just add in a little bit more breadcrumbs.  I did.  But I don't think I drained the tuna as completely as it could have been.

Also, I think that refrigerating the formed burgers will help them hold their shape.

In a frying pan over medium heat, cook the burgers until golden brown on each side.  (The recipe says to finish cooking in the oven until golden brown, but doesn't say what temperature to bake them at - so I decided to skip that)


I was really wondering how these would turn out.  Because I've been really excited to try them since I saw them on Tastespotting.

You know what?  They were actually pretty darn good!  I wouldn't even have known that there wasn't mayo in the burgers.  I thought the pepper was a little heavy handed, so that could be reduced by a bit. 


For a healthier alternative, these totally fit the bill.


Also, the next day my brother and I each took one of these for our lunches.  He heated his, I left mine cold and they were terrific either way.  Even the smallest of our group agreed.


You can check out the recipe here.

Source:  Paula Deen


1 comment: