Tuesday 3 December 2013

Cilantro Lime Rice

I always find that the hardest thing about Tex Mex is the sides.
 
And although I didn't make this for a technically "Tex Mex" meal, I think it would work perfectly if you're in need of something.
 
And - surprise, surprise - it's super easy.
 
Although I will admit that cooking rice on the stove top scares me senseless.
 


In a medium pot on the stove, combine the rice, water, salt, and 1 teaspoon of oil.

 
And cook it up.
 
Then, in a medium bowl, combine the chopped cilantro (oh my yum), lime juice (deelish!), and the remaining oil.
 
 
Then stir in the cooked rice.

 
And serve!

 
I have to admit - at first bite I was somewhat hesitant.  The flavours were big and bold.  I was unsure about the combination.
 
But I wanted to give it a shot.  So I kept shovelling it in my pie hole.
 
And then it was - all of a sudden - delicious. 
 
(Although I didn't like the way the rice came out....  It was kind of chewy - I don't know.  I'm sure I did something wrong.  Remember?  Scared senseless.)
 
That Tracey - she knows things.
 
Thanks for visiting!  The Cane girl


Cilantro Lime Rice
 
1 cup long grain white rice
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
Juice from 1/2 a lime
3 Tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  1. In a medium pot combine the rice, water, salt, and 1 teaspoon canola oil.  Swirl the pot gently to combine.
  2. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.  Cook until most of the water has evaporated, what remains should only just barely cover the rice.  Cover the pot, and reduce the heat to low.  Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
  3. Remove the pot from the heat, remove the lid, and cover with a clean kitchen towel.  Let stand for an additional 10 minutes.
  4. In a medium bowl, combine the lime juice, oil, and cilantro.
  5. When the rice has reached the end of it's 10 minute rest, add to the cilantro mixture.  Stir to combine.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm - I would just cook this in my rice cooker and add everything else at the end and let it rest for a few minutes. I wonder if that would work just as well??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it would - I think that's what I would do next time.

      Delete