Friday 17 January 2014

Blueberry and Caramelized Shallot Pizza

Before I start - I feel like I need to apologise for these pictures.  This is one of the first recipes I wrote about after I moved into my house.  Every. Single. Bulb. in this house is a high-efficiency bulb and they cast this BEEEEAUTIFUL yellow color all over everything.

It's so gross.

Of course, I didn't realize this until I downloaded these pictures and started working through them.

Yuck.

Shortly after these were taken, I started to change out the bulbs.  Also, I've been working on a lighting system courtesy of Bob at BS' in the Kitchen

You know - on top of everything else.

Moving along.

Jessica over at How Sweet It Is has a most exciting array of gourmet pizzas on her blog.

And.  Well.

We all know how I feel about pizza.

Jessica put this gourmet pizza on a whole wheat crust - and I did try it.  For posterity.  And just in case I actually liked whole wheat crust.

That would be a big no.

Next time I would put this on just a regular white crust.

 
After your crust is ready and rising, get started on caramelizing those shallots.  In a frying pan, melt some butter.

 
Then add the shallots.

 
And cook until browned.
 
Then add some brown sugar.
 
Basically you're making candy out of those shallots.
 

 
Once they're done, set aside and let cool.

 
Jessica's instructions clearly indicate to process the ricotta cheese with the lemon zest in a food processor until smooth.
 
But the ricotta that I bought was really smooth already - so I just stirred the zest in really well.

 
Then top the ricotta with half the mozzarella.

 
Top that with the caramelized shallots.

 
And sprinkle with thyme.

 
Then spread the blueberries over all of that.

 
Top with the remaining mozzarella.

 
And bake.

 
Then top with shredded Parmesan cheese.

 
Actually......



I really liked it - I was slightly thrown off by the whole wheat crust and I though there could have been a little less thyme, but in all - it was pretty dang good!
 
If you're into unusual - and gourmet style pizza - I would definitely recommend this!
 
 
Happy Friday! - xoxo, Heather
 


Blueberry Pizza with Whipped Ricotta and Caramelized Shallots

Recipe for 1 pizza crust
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter
4 shallots, sliced
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
2 lemons, zested
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
2 Tablespoons fresh thyme
1 cup blueberries
2 Tablespoons Parmesan cheese
  1. Prepare the pizza crust per recipe instructions.
  2. While the dough is rising, heat olive oil and butter in a frying pan over low heat.  Add the shallots and salt.  Cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (reduce the heat if the shallots start to brown too much).
  3. Stir in the brown sugar and garlic.  Cook for 5 more minutes.  Set aside to cool.
  4. Stir together the ricotta and lemon zest.
  5. After the pizza crust has completed it's second rise in the pan, spread the ricotta over the dough to nearly the edges of the dough. 
  6. Cover with half the mozzarella cheese.
  7. Spread the shallots over the cheese and sprinkle with thyme.
  8. Cover with the blueberries and top with the remaining cheese.
  9. Bake according to the crust recipe instructions, until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbling.
  10. Sprinkle the cooked pizza with Parmesan cheese and serve.
Source:  How Sweet It Is

No comments:

Post a Comment