My fat pants aren't feeling so big right now. Is that normal?
So today we're going to have a low fat meal.
Don't look so surprised. It's not a butter fiesta over here all the time.
(yes it is.)
To be honest, I rarely venture into low fat anything.... I fear lack of flavor.
But I've been assured these enchiladas are anything but boring.
Okay - that cheese is not low fat. I couldn't find the reduced fat version.
Sorry. But let's just pretend it is.
In a medium pot, combine the cilantro,
the sour cream,
and the soup. And cook over medium until heated through and set aside.
Then, in a frying pan combine the onion,
Then add the Ro-tel tomatoes, the chiles, and chicken. Cook over medium heat until the onions are translucent.
Once the onions are cooked through, place about 2 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on each tortilla and top with a little cheese. Ahem, low fat of course.
Roll them up and place them seam-side down in a baking pan. I found a 9 x 13 was a little large for this batch, but it was the only pan I happened to have.
Then pour the sour cream sauce over top, you might have to spread it around a little.
And top with the rest of that cheese.
Okay, seriously - I know that topping the works with cheese seems a little off the point of a low fat meal. But since it's low fat, it totally counts as healthy.
That's some pretty yummy healthy eating right there.
I considered serving these with additional sour cream, guacamole, and refried beans. But I kind of figured it would take these out of the low fat category - so I skipped them.
I was totally surprised. These enchiladas were delicious! Although I have to say that there was a LOT of onions. I would suggest cutting the amount in half.
On occasion I can be converted. But only very temporarily.
Then it'll be back to ensuring there is butter in the fridge at all times.
On a side note, I used "Hot" Ro-Tel tomatoes - it was too much for me..... But I'm kind of wimpy.
Hopefully our pants will be fitting properly again very soon.
Good luck with that - the Cane girl.
Skinny Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas
16 ounces fat free sour cream
1 can fat free cream of chicken soup
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
2 1/2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
1 can Mexican Ro-Tel tomatoes
1 cup chopped onions
8 low carb tortillas (or whole wheat)
1 package jack and Colby cheese blend shredded cheese
1 can diced green chiles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the cilantro, sour cream, and cream of chicken soup. Heat through, stirring constantly, and set aside.
- In a large frying pan, combine the chicken, tomatoes, onions, and green chiles. Cook over medium heat until the onions are softened and translucent.
- If needed (depending on the freshness of the tortillas), wrap the tortillas and heat in the microwave for about 10 seconds. This will soften the tortillas and make them more pliable.
- Divide the chicken mixture between the tortillas, and top with a pinch or two of cheese.
- Roll each tortilla up and place seam side down in an 8 x 11 baking dish.
- Pour the sour cream sauce over top of the enchiladas and spread to cover.
- Top the sour cream sauce with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.